Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Week Two: Wauchula

The second week we headed over to the Thousand Trails campground in Wauchula Florida (though I think technically it is in Zolfo Springs, the campground claims it is in Wauchula.) This is more of a campground in the fact that it is technically classified as a preserve. It had rained the days preceding our arrival so the spots available were muddy, and the trails swamp like in nature. None the less its nice to be outdoors.



My family is into a sport called PickleBall that is, as I describe it, a mutant cross between tennis and ping pong. It is played on a court the size of a badminton court and is played using what is essentially a perforated ball similar to a wiffle ball, and what resembles a boat oar cut short.



Two players on each side with scoring close to that of ping pong and played more in the style of tennis as I have mentioned. It is a fun, fast paced game which because it is played on a smaller court is easier for older and younger players to play then tennis (or at least that is my assumption.) From what I can tell a lot of 1K Trails have these courts making it my families game of choice. It is very fun and I'm glad that everyone here is so welcoming to newcomers. I'm not huge on sports and consider myself more of a outdoor - running, jumping, kayaking - sort of person. But I have had tons of fun playing this sport.



The town in cozy in that small town since. Main street seems to be the only street and the local shops and restaurants seem to have been around since the town was founded in the early 1900s. It is as the crossroads of a bunch of the somewhat minor state roads, so it makes sense that the campground is located here in that since. And although one might think that there isn't allot to do in the middle of no where, they would be happily mistaken, for although the attractions of sorts about the place lack the luster of what you would find in more heavily populated areas, they make up for in charm and a feel of receiving a more one on one experience where ever you do go.

No comments:

Post a Comment